Sunday 21 September 2008

Stratford Canal




After our little detour, we turned onto the Stratford around mid-day: what a beautiful entrance is made into this incredibly pretty canal. About as big a contrast to the Grand Union as you could possibly get-I mean physically, scenically & traffic wise; because I loved the grandeur of the GU, whereas the Sratford is, rather appropriately, "quaint". The latter is also b****y hard work with all the locks threatening to fall to pieces on you & gates that weigh a ton, although there is plenty of time to make a cuppa (not to mention prepare a 3 course meal) whilst the locks fill & empty!


I also received the best (only!) offer I've had in ages from a German boater who asked, "on boat for jumping?" Whilst the idea was not without merit, I do prefer a more formal introduction normally so declined politely and continued walking as MR passed close by.This canal is beautiful & intimate, but I could be biased as it is the only canal we haven't seen in the rain (yet!). Will stay by lock 30 tonight as well, because we've had a Tesco delivery this pm. & it is too late to stir ourselves. I must also confess to finding yesterday's cruise quite tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment